From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:58:40 -0500
Effing Creek and Tickle C**t Creek were supposedly named by the local
inhabitants who were devoutly predisposed to the idea that government
was totally intrusive and so thought that by using offensive names,
they would keep government and civil folk at some remove from their
general locations. But, where I read that I cannot remember. I'd
check in Nicholls, Michael Lee, 1972 Origins of the Virginia
Southside, 1703-1753: A Social and Economic Study.  Ph.D.
Dissertation, College of William & Mary, or in Kulikoff, Allan
1986 Tobacco and Slaves: The Development of Southern Cultures in the
Chesapeake, 1680-1800.  University of North Carolina Press.

But as their influence waned, Modest Creek was the 180° counterpart.

Lyle Browning