From:
"Finkelman, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 17:47:59 +0000
My guess is that looking for "Good Negroes" is a call to rent slaves.  This was very common in the South always.  There is a huge rental market. Think of think of the number of widows and orphans who own slaves but rent them out.  Whenever there is a death of a large slaveowner, the administrator of the estate is likely to rent slaves out for a while, until the estate is settled.  Business on the other hand, don't want to own slaves -- too much upfront investment and they would have more trouble profiting from ownership because of the need to supply housing for slave families.  One of the great profit sources of slavery was the birth of slave children.  A mill or factory does not want to worry about that and might have less economic need for children or women, depending on the business.  So renting is the sensible way to go.

*****************

Paul Finkelman, Ph.D.
President

GRATZ COLLEGE