From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:39:17 -0800
My perspective is that of a descendant of Free Persons of Color, from
Colonial Virginia. I have two direct ancestors who fought in the
Revolutionary War, and I am a member of the Daughters of the American
Revolution. The flag that my ancestors fought under was not one that
represented white supremacy (IMHO).  They fought for freedom from Britain,
possibly in the hopes of ending slavery. Their descendants fought for the
union during the Civil War, and for the end of slavery.  They were vested in
seeing slavery end, since the only thing that kept them free were fickle
laws.

In the town where I grew up many of the residents are hispanics, and fly
their countries flags.  It is part of the freedoms we enjoy in this country,
  something that many of our ancestors fought, and died for.

Anita Wills