From:
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:18:50 -0400
Another interesting note is that Washington's slaves were to be freed only
after the death of Martha Washington. However, poor Martha supposedly feared
that a rebellious slave would "do her in", and freed the slaves herself
sometime later. Ole' George didn't think his immancipation act through,
IMHO. And, left his wife in quite a predicament. I often wonder how Martha
managed to continue to run her plantation after she freed all the slaves.