Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:36:06 EST
"I am quite certain Douglass was not the only abolitionist who had Lincoln's
ear."

His Sec of State was an abolitionist...Lincoln did a very good job of sitting
on the fence until 1862 when he realized that to keep Great Britain and
France from siding with the South he need to do something....not to mention
the pressure he was getting from inside his party to do something.  It is
interesting that he only freed the slaves that were in territory held by the
CSA.....not DC nor Delaware or Maryland. Not to mention Northern Va. or New
Orleans....places in the south held by the Federal...just an interesting
observation....I sure it was an oversight when he wrote the EP..;-)

Bill