From:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2014 14:36:05 -0400
Everyone,

On Wednesday, 5 November, at 4 p.m., at the VCU Commons Theater (907 Floyd Avenue), Adriane Lentz-Smith, of Duke University, will speak on "World War I and the African-American Freedom Struggle." The presentation is free and open to the public.

The lecture is based on her recent book, Freedom Struggles: African Americans and World War I (Harvard University Press, 2009). Here's a description: "For many of the 200,000 black soldiers sent to Europe with the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I, encounters with French civilians and colonial African troops led them to imagine a world beyond Jim Crow. They returned home to join activists working to make that world real. In narrating the efforts of African American soldiers and activists to gain full citizenship rights as recompense for military service, Dr. Adriane Lentz-Smith illuminates how World War I mobilized a generation."

The lecture is sponsored by the Alexandrian Society, with support from the Virginia Commonwealth University Student Government Association and the Department of History.

Pay parking is available at the West Main Street Parking Deck, and the VCU Commons is just to the northwest of the deck. For a map see http://www.maps.vcu.edu/pdfs/mp_map.pdf

Hope to see you there.

John

John T. Kneebone