From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:37:32 -0500
Just a reminder to be careful basing inferences about social history on
evidence from surnames : in a culture in which marriage women generally
took their husband's surname,  the so-called 'extinction' of a surname
says nothing about the continued importance of female family connections.
Anyone who attempts to understand colonial Virginia society (I dare say
pre-WWII Virginia) without being aware of sisters, aunts, nieces, cousins,
sisters-in-law, etc. is going to miss more than half the story.
Jon Kukla

 obscures
> Another website that has just become live that might be useful is the new
> British Surname Profiler at University College, London. This will show you
> the historical distribution of surnames originating in the British Isles
> and whether their roots are English, Scottish or Irish or originally from
> abroad. The site can be found at
> http://www.spatial-literacy.org/index.php?p=familyname
>
> Incidentally, Rolfe is an English name with a particular regional
> distribtion, being found almost exclusively in the south east of England.

Dr. Jon Kukla, Executive Vice-President
Red Hill - The Patrick Henry National Memorial
1250 Red Hill Road
Brookneal, Virginia 24528
www.redhill.org
Phone 434-376-2044 or 800-514-7463