From:
John Shroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:19:19 -0500
 Yet slavery would have lasted perhaps longer in the US
> south than in Brazil (slavery ended 1888) because, unlike Brazil, the US
> south had no mechanisms for manumitting slaves or for fostering a free
> colored population.
>
> David Kiracofe
> College of Charleston

I thought that many slaves were able to buy their freedom as a result of
getting part of the wages the owner was paid for their work in trades and
industry?  I also thought that the number of those able to do so was
increasing with more industrialization and that would have led to an
increase in the free black 'middle' class which in turn would have led to
more training and education for blacks?  No one has mentioned this in the
discussions to date so perhaps I'm misinformed and I don't remember what
book(s) led me to think that.
John Shroeder