From:
Melinda Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:06:02 +0000
Sorry not to have replied sooner.  I don't check this particular email address every day.
The speculation regarding Smith was in a conversation between my husband and David Beers Quinn and his wife-- more than ten years ago-- when we were working on a film script.  I'm not sure if either of them every wrote anything about it; but they were both fascinated with Smith and his pre-New World activities.
The conversation was about his adventures as a mercenary-- his tales of being rescued by a young "Turkish princess," who supposedly helped him escape slavery.  It is interesting that he reports more than one episode of being saved by young girls.
This could be the start of an interesting novel...
-Melinda Skinner

From: Louise Bernikow <[log in to unmask]>
> which historian, where can we find, the speculation about castration by the
> turks and possible sexual debilities of John Smith? what an intriguing idea.
> thanks. Louise Bernikow

Sorr