From:
"Wilmer L. Kerns" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:32:55 -0500
Indeed, Dayton was a center of shape note singing. My grandfather Robert R.
Kerns learned it in the 1890s when he was a student at Shenandoah Collegiate
Institute in Dayton (now Shenandoah University in Winchester). He later
taught it to his students. We used to spend every New Years Day at Weaver's
Mennonite Church for an all-day singing of shape note music (1930s and
1940s). The church was always packed-- standing room only. I still have my
copy of the Harmonia Sacra hymnal. Wonderful vocal music-- no instruments.
In 1988, I checked with Weaver's to see if the singings were still held. The
answer was NO, but was told of a small group that still meets on New Year's
Day in Rockingham County.

Wilmer L. Kerns