From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:04:08 GMT
I was born and raised in Pennsylvania, and Virginia' Hams were a special treat. I thought all ham tasted like that, until I came to California. The Smoked Hams from Virginia, were very salty, and also very tasty. Unfortunately my system cannot afford that type of fare, but I have fond memorys of that taste.

Anita

Order Sites for Notes And Documents of Free Persons of Color - Barnes & Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=lS3PoJHAgB&isbn=1411603338&itm=1
Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411603338/qid=1098122382/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-8775456-1855815

-- [log in to unmask] wrote:
<<Not belonging to that tribe of the California-born who want to  become
beautiful corpses, and born and raised to South-rooted parents who cooked  with
bacon grease and lard, I raise my cup to the wonders of southern cooking  and
its Virginia roots.  Long may this distinctive tradition be  preserved.>>

Harold,
You have now reached a peak level of acclaim in my mind! :)

Being a "Virginian-in-exile" as I like to call myself, and raised on a hog
farm (with three smokehouses!) in Sussex County, Virginia in the 1960s, I  feel
I have the background sufficient to correct the geographical description
just slightly... Smithfield lies in Isle of Wight County, not Surry  County.
Having said that, some friends of mine in Surry do have one of the  best country
ham businesses out there... Edwards Hams (_http://www.virginiatraditions.com_
(http://www.virginiatraditions.com)  )  a family-owned smoked meat business,
is located in Surry, Virginia (please note,  I hold no financial interest nor
have any family relationship to the Edwards  family!).

My sweet wife, who was actually raised in L.A., has also come to appreciate
the fine qualities of a Virginia ham... a neccessary fare for most holiday
dinner table settings in our home.

Three cheers for posting such a great piece of information to the  list!
Fairfield Bain
P.S.  After 47 years of consuming ham, my blood pressure remains  110/70.

Fairfield T. Bain, DVM
Chief - Internal Medicine & Critical Care
Hagyard Equine Medical Institute
Lexington, Kentucky