From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:59:39 -0500
Harold and Anita,

I suspect some of the usual posters on this list are still plowing through
the last few days' posts, perhaps deleting anything under this subject.

In Virginia, for several decades during the 20th century, there was a real
jerk in charge of birth registrations. He set his mind to eliminating all
Native Americans, and accordingly, listed all people who were not 100% white
as colored or "mulatto". All Native Americans born under his "reign" were
mulatto. I believe the man's name was Plucker, but I am not at all sure.

A few governors back, all the injured parties were allowed to correct their
birth records and receive a free copy of their corrected birth certificate.

Anne
Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.erols.com/apembert