Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:52:29 EST
In a message dated 3/26/02 7:49:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Dear Listers:
>
> My ancestor was "on duty Color Guard". Did he carry the colors of the
> brigade? Is it the same as Color Bearer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Diana Kercheval

Diana, probably, but one can't be certain, depends on the war.  In the Civil
War or earlier, it would have indicated most probably that he carried the
colors, for battalion, regiments, or brigade.  In the Span-Am War and later,
he might have carried a rifle and flanked the colors.

Warm regards
Jeff Weaver
Arlington, VA
http://www.ls.net/~newriver/nrv.htm - New River Notes