Date:
Sat, 26 May 2007 22:58:58 -0500
I happened to check e-mail this evening and found the following from a
Google search.  Contents of the second and third hyperlinks below indicate
the date of Whitefield's preaching at Bruton Parish Church in Williamsburg
was Sunday, December 16, 1739:

From: http://www.history.org/almanack/resources/glossary/rsrcehg5.cfm

"Whitefield, George (1714-1770), English evangelist. He was extremely
popular during the revival movement known as the Great Awakening that swept
the American colonies in the 1730s and 1740s.

Whitefield attended Oxford University, where he joined the Wesley brothers'
"Holy Club," whose highly structured religious habits earned them the
derisive name "Methodists." Ordained a deacon in 1736, Whitefield joined the
Wesleys as a missionary to Georgia in 1738. He was ordained an Anglican
priest in 1739. Whitefield began open-air preaching and was soon threatened
with excommunication by his superiors. Thereafter, he was barred from most
Anglican pulpits. Whitefield embarked again for America a few months later
and visited several colonies including Virginia on his way to Georgia.
During this trip, Whitefield preached at Bruton Parish Church at the
invitation of Commissary James Blair on December 14, 1739.... "

-----------------------------

From:
http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/visit/eventsAndExhibits/specialEvents/index_2005c.cfm

Whitefield Day – Virginia Gazette, Friday, December 21, 1739,
Williamsburg, – “On Sunday morning last, the Rev. Mr. Whitefield preached at
our Church, on the words, ‘What think ye of Christ?’ There was a numerous
congregation, and ’tis thought there would have been many more, if timely
notice had been given of his preaching.” Experience a reenactment of famous
18th-century evangelist George Whitefield’s appearance at Bruton Parish
Church on Sunday, December 16, 1739. A minister of the Church of England and
colleague of John and Charles Wesley, Whitefield was an important figure in
the Great Awakening, a series of revivals that swept through Britain and
North America in the first half of the 18th century.

------------------------------

From: http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=1739&country=1

December 16, 1739 was a Sunday.

I hope all of you enjoy a heartfelt and thoughtful Memorial Day weekend.
When I was a kid, this weekend was a homecoming of relatives with a cemetery
full of people placing fresh-cut flowers on graves and reminiscing while
memorializing those who had gone before, especially war veterans who gave so
much for all of us -- that continues to present times.  My nearby home town
still conducts Memorial Day services with an American Legion and VFW honor
gurard, speech and all, but with not nearly the turnout of 50-60 years ago.
It seems we should do so much more.

Neil McDonald