From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:31:53 -0400
All,

Secession was an acknowledged consitutional right of the states, and
many had joined the union in the first place with express provision
that they could "opt out".  Even Daniel Webster, Senator from
Massachussetts, spoke in support of the right of secession in 1851.
William Seward, however, seems to have summed up the changing
attitudes in the North with his quote, "There is a higher law than
the constitution."

This is, however, all now moot.

Craig K