Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:17:04 EDT
Were the following Americans because they fought for American  side in the
Revolution:

The Marquis de Lafayette
Baron von  Steuben
Baron Johann de Kalb
Thaddeus Kosciuszko
Jose Monino de  Redondo
Francois Joseph Paul Comte de  Grasse
Comte de Rochambeau

In a message dated 3/13/2009 3:10:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I beg to  differ, as some of my ancestors who were Mulatto, Free Negro etc.,
fought in  the Revolutionary War. As far as I know those who fought in the
Revolutionary  War were citizens. They received pensions, paid taxes, and were
awarded Bounty  Land. That would be my definition of an American.

I wrote an article  recently and someone commented and asked me why I
referred to them as Mulatto.  I told him that I was writing about Colonial Virginia,
and used the language  from that period.

Anita

> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:31:18  -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re:  Monticello Recives NEH Grant
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> I have also wondered why historians writing about slaves or free  Negroes
> in the early American period now refer to them as  "African-Amercans."
> They were not "Americans," at least in a legal or  constitutional sense.
> In a historical and legal sense, they were  "Negroes" or "blacks" or
> "mulattoes." There is obviously a cultural  sensitivity to pejorative
> terms for different nationalities, but is  that the reason? Even if it
> is, can the historian continue to use the  terms that were current during
> the period about which she is writing?  Is there now a rule that this
> issue can't be discussed? To which group  was Holder referring, those who
> are willing to discuss it, or those  who will not?
>
> Richard E. Dixon
>
> Editor,  Jefferson Notes
>
> Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society
>

> <blocked::http://www.lva.virginia.gov/>