From:
Heritage Society <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:14:13 -0400
Henry asserts that to achieve “balance” in her article, Maura Singleton
gave support to “dissenting views.” These, apparently, would be the views
of those who do not believe there is sufficient “credible evidence” to find
Jefferson fathered Sally Hemings' children. By peppering her article with
all these contrary suggestions, she failed to follow the “proper view” and
further the  mission of the Monticello staff, and the historians who follow
their lead, to declare by fiat that Thomas Jefferson was the father of
Sally Hemings' children.  Actually, I thought she should have given much
more weight to the research and findings of the Scholars Commission. Their
year long project produced a highly credible report that essentially
absolved Jefferson. They found it significant that the DNA linked the
Jefferson line to only one of her children. There were three others whose
fathers are yet unknown. The only demonstrative evidentiary link of these
children to Jefferson is that he was “perhaps” at Monticello when they were
conceived.  Now, as to the “contemporaneous historical evidence,” that
catches me unaware. Was there someone other that Madison’s declaration
fifty years after Jefferson’s death?

Richard E. Dixon
Editor, Jefferson Notes
Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society