From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:22:04 -0500
Mr. Dixon,

  Precisely whom among free people would you expect to record
that the author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd
President of the United States was having sex with a female
servant, half-sister to his late wife?  Jefferson was a public figure
and he would certainly have been careful about his reputation, as
would his friends, family, and visitors.  How many people at
Monticello were literate besides TJ and his daughters?  Whom
among the enslaved, for example the descendants of Sally
Hemings who claim to be TJ's offspring, would you believe?
  I know this is tedious to many of this list, but the level of denial is
also tedious to those of us who have assumed that slaves were
acquired to satisfy their "masters'" appetites.  To assume that
those appetites extended only to good food, fine wines, and
excessive and innovative building and garden design, to assume
that a leader who never took a vow of chastity nonetheless lived
celibate for 34 years though he owned a number of attractive
women, belies what can be learned about human nature.  (See, for
example, the many sexual histories of English middle class men,
published anonymously in Havelock Ellis, The Psychology of Sex,
4 vols. 1900 circa.)
  Historians don't use legal methodology because we cannot
compel testimony, nor punish perjury.  We work, as Winthrop
Jordan has noted in passing in the latest issue of the William &
Mary Quarterly, using probability.  This may not satisfy the lawyers
on the list, but that cannot be helped.