From:
"Jane Steele,MA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 01:40:10 -0400
To Mr. Wiencek:  I have seen this quote a lot also.  See "The Diaries of
George Washington" published by The University of Virginia Press.  This is
by Dorothy Twohig and should contain the documentation for the quote.  The
university press could also help you.  Also contact the Colonial
Williamsburg Research Libraries.  Colonial Williamsburg's Department of
Interpretation currently has a gentleman doing General Washington first
person ane both he and they should be able to asist you.  My own
interpretation of this quote is that after the end of the Revolutionary War
and Washington's correspondence to Phillis Wheatley concerning a poem that
she wrote about his appointment to be the Commander-in-Chief of the
Continental Forcesjust before the start of the war is that he was sick of
slavery and it's devestating effects on families of color.  He had a black
manservant named William "Billy" Lee who was quite trusted and was a member
of his "family/staff" during the war.  And after the enlisted African-
American troops showed him and others that they could indeed fight he began
to rescend his opinions concerning enslavement.  I hope that this helps.
Jane Steele,MA US History.