From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2016 19:22:09 -0500
The American Revolution Round Table of Richmond

Please join us on Wednesday, November 16, as we close out our tenth year with member Mark Lender speaking about his new book Fatal Sunday: George Washington, the Monmouth Campaign, and the Politics of Battle.  I highly recommend this work to you – it’s just wonderful.  Mark will have copies available at his cost – $28.  You certainly know Mark from his fine presentation and tour covering Benedict Arnold’s raid on Richmond.  We meet for dinner at 5:30 in the Heilman Dining Center at the University of Richmond, with the meeting beginning at 6:30.  Details and a link to the campus map are here. http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html

Remember that we will be conducting our biannual elections at this meeting.  More information is here.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/  Be sure to forward any nominations to Walt Pulliam.

Thanks to the ten ARRT-R members who attended the burial service for Harry Ward.  It was both moving and humorous.  I’m sure Harry enjoyed it.  Member Jim Glanville made a nice financial contribution to ARRT-R in Harry’s honor.  The board will be reviewing the best way to use this donation.  Thank you, Jim.  Information about the Harry Ward scholarship fund, as well as a personal remembrance from me, are both on our home page.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/  Please feel free to add your own Harry comments and stories.

As previously mentioned, we’ll also vote at the meeting on naming our book award after Harry and making a contribution to the scholarship fund from the round table.  We’ll certainly miss him.

John Ragosta has alerted us to his forthcoming Patrick Henry: Proclaiming a Revolution.  John describes it as a short bio of the understudied Henry.  Details are here.  https://www.routledge.com/Patrick-Henry-Proclaiming-a-Revolution/Ragosta/p/book/9781138023024

Tom Welch, a Delaware revolutionary friend, sent along this Mount Vernon link to a series of Yorktown videos.  http://www.mountvernon.org/george-washington/the-revolutionary-war/the-yorktown-campaign

Here’s a link to Andrew O’Shaughnessy’s 2016 George Rogers Clark Lecture at the Society of Cincinnati.  http://library.fora.tv/2016/10/28/2016_George_Rogers_Clark_Lecture_The_British_Empire_and_the_Causes_of_the_American_Revolution  Andrew discusses the British Empire and the Causes of the American Revolution.

It appears that King George III is making a triumphant return.  Check it here.  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/nyregion/toppled-statue-of-king-george-iii-to-ride-again.html?_r=3

Thanks to all for passing along information.  See you all on November 16.  As a special reminder, all the folks who receive this through the Library of Virginia History List are cordially invited to join us at a meeting.

Bill