From:
John Philip Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:09:00 -0600
1st amendment
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the
people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress
of grievances."

It seems that it wasn't until the last half of the 20th century did we see
the interests in the courts in reassessing the restraints of the 1st
amendment.
Your comment
"It will take ratification by a 2/3 majority of states to change it.
However, the 1st Amendment protects us all, no matter what our religion, or
absence thereof."
I am thrilled that we do not have a state religion, but the attacks on the
established religious places, i.e. Wren Chapel just do not strike me as
being correct. I agree that as long as the laws are on the books, we must
obey those laws; however, that is what keeps lawyers busy in trying to find
a way around, under, or over these laws. Many cases have been overturned by
subsequent Supreme Courts and this is why we keep discussions like this in
play. I only ask that we all strive to maintain this great country,
especially since so many of our Virginia ancestors are responsible for this
document and the country we are so proud to be a part thereof.
Thank you all for your commentaries.

John Philip Adams