From:
Martha Katz-Hyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2014 11:57:02 -0400
In connection with research I am doing for the new museum that will replace
the Yorktown Victory Center, I am investigating the life of Edward Moss,
one of the members of the very large Moss family of York County.

This Edward Moss (there were many of that name!) was the son of James Moss
(son of William Moss & Elizabeth Goodwin) and an unknown wife who evidently
predeceased him (no wife is named in his will). James died in 1762 leaving
3 children (John, Edward and Ann/Anna) all under the age of 21. James's
estate appears not to have been finally settled until December 1772, when
16 slaves were divided among the three children (not all of the slaves
named in the inventory are included in the division). By 1772 John was no
longer an "orphan" and Ann was married, but I am assuming that this is the
year that Edward also reached his majority.

My questions:

1) What was the age of majority in Virginia for both genders in the third
quarter of the eighteenth century?
2) Am I correct in assuming that the slaves were not divided until 1772
because before that date Edward was still an "orphan"?
3) There are records in the York County Guardians Accounts from 1773-1775
for the expenses Thomas Smith incurred as guardian of Edward Moss. Was
Edward Moss still an "orphan" or are these accounts (recorded in 1774 &
1775) "after the fact" accountings that Thomas Smith presented to the court?

Thanks for your help in figuring this out!!

Martha Katz-Hyman
Curator
Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
Williamsburg, VA