From:
"Vejnar Robert J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:42:11 -0400
Are there ANSI standards for digitization?  I cannot find any.  What is the LVA to do in 2, 4, or 7 years when the equipment and/or software changes for digitization?  Migrate the collections from the old standard to the other?  Where is the staff going to come from to do that?  Where is the money going to come from to do that?

There are, though, ANSI standards for microfilm, and the equipment and technology are relatively inexpensive and stable.

Digitization is fine for making collections accessible, but is currently incapable of ensuring the long-term preservation of the information.  Until the latter is addressed, microfilming with remain the standard for preservation.

Information on this can be readily obtained from the professionals at the Society of American Archivists website at www.archivists.org.

Robert Vejnar