From:
"Deal, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:43:22 -0400
 VIRGINIA'S CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION OF 1867–1868
Constructing a New Virginia: The Revolutionary Constitutional Convention of
1867–1868

Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Time: Noon–1:00 PM
Place: Conference Rooms, Free

Much of what we think we know about the Reconstruction era is a product of
mythologies promoted by Southern elites who sabotaged African American
voting and citizenship rights and built the Jim Crow system enshrined in
the 1902 state constitution. Examining the period and its events with eyes
unencumbered by these old myths, we see a dynamic, revolutionary movement
that made Virginia, for a time, more democratic and forward thinking. The
1867–1868 constitution improved life for all Virginians, creating, for
example, the first comprehensive system of public education in the
commonwealth's history. Independent scholar and author Brent Tarter
presents this lecture. Cosponsored by Virginia's Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Memorial Commission and the Capitol Square Preservation Council.