From:
Holly Wilhelm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:52:19 EDT
In a message dated 4/17/2006 11:28:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
I've been told not to put anything -- flour, shaving cream, etc. -- on a
tombstone, as it may add to the deterioration.  Also, I've heard that you
never, never take a tombstone rubbing, because that, too, may cause damage.
Take a photo of the stone, and view the photo in black and white -- that
oftem brings out the subtleties of the writing on the stone.
Phebe,

Jean is correct.  Nothing should ever be applied to a stone.  Even rubbings,
however gentle, are abrasive to the stone.  There is no need to add to the
ravages of Mother Nature when we have far better alternative available.

Some years back I took a crash course in cemetery preservation through the
Historic Preservation program at Mary Washington College (does that tell you
it's been awhile?).  There we were taught a technique that does not require _any_
physical contact with a stone or require putting anything on it.

At best it takes two people, always a good idea when out in the wilds anyway.
 One hold a camera, another a mirror.  The one with the mirror adjusts the
reflection to create a light over the stone at an acute angle.  The best angle
is not always the same because the sun is not always in the same place.  If the
sun is not strong enough, and actually it doesn't need to be very strong, a
flashlight can be added to add light to the reflection.  When you've gotten a
good contrast between the stone's depth of carving and the reflective light.
take your picture.  (Don't use the flash...)

Since then, when touring cemeteries in places that are dedicated to
preservation, I have seen cemetery guides demonstrate this technique as well.  Nobody
ever believed it worked until it was demonstrated.  Once demonstrated, it was
clear that the technique worked far better than imagined, and much better than
chemical application techniques.

See www.gravestonestudies.org/faq.htm

Please don't touch the stones or put anything on them!

Holly Wilhelm Mills, M.A., M.L.S.
Amherst, Virginia