From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:53:31 -0400
Andrew Levy's 'First Emancipator' IS a good book on a fascinating
character and conversion . . . An amusing and cautionary footnote though :
when describing the temptations of 18th-century Williamsburg (First
Emancipator, pp. 17, 225) the author cited a title called "Armitage’s
Impartial List of the Ladies of Pleasure of Williamsburg, with a Preface
by a Celebrated Wit" (Williamsburg, 1775) that turns out to be modern
spoof, entirely bogus, done up to look like an 18th-century publication.
   Last year when I was trying to corroborate a couple of entries in
Thomas Jefferson's Memorandum Books that _MIGHT_ refer to prostitution
(mentioned in Andrew Burstein's 'Jefferson's Secrets'), I went looking
for "Armitage's Impartial List....." based on Levy's citation.
Eventually the folks at Colonial Williamsburg Research Dept. clued me
in to the fact that "Armitage's Impartial List....." was an invented
spoof that sold for a while in tourist shops around Williamsburg.

Jon Kukla