From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:08:29 -0400
Bill:  you raise a good point -- and one that might be answerable to a
point in the public records of the Confederacy.  I wasn't thinking of
free blacks migrating to the US in that scenario, but of escaped slaves.
What sorts of laws did the various states or the CSA government consider
or pass regarding their existing free black populations?  (Anyone know
this one?)  I tend to agree that free blacks would have been more
subversive of the Confederate movement than accomodating of it: i.e.
seeking to expand their rights under the new regime -- strike that, I
will say they WERE subversive of the Confederacy.

David Kiracofe