From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 14:26:42 -0500
Harold is right this is a reference to the Sedition Act crisis and the Alien laws of
1800; but of course the national govt. and most southern state governments undermined a
free press from 1820 to 1861 whenever abolitionists sought to use the press to attack
slavery; in DC, where there was no home rule and so Congress had power to make laws,
abolitionists were proseucted for the possession of antislavery materials.  The Lincoln
administration selectively (and actually quite selectively, and not very often)
suppressed some northern papers during the war, not for anti-war sentiments per se (as
Wilson did in WWI) but for spreading rumors about war policy that were untrue and likely
to cause harm; the Confederacy allowed no free press discussion by opponents of slavery
or the war effort.

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor