From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:35:41 -0500
  Whatever the other sources of the "sacred soil of Virginia," it is important
to remember that during much of the Civil War, Virginia bore the brunt for
all the other Confederate states.  They all contributed soldiers and
supplies, but Virginia was site of nearly 50% of all the battles
fought in the War.
  The other Confederate states had a material interest in honoring
Virginia for "hosting" the War.

Harold