From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2018 16:53:30 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Please mark your calendar to join us on Wednesday, September 19, when our own Karen Chase will speak on "American Independence Beyond the Battlefield: Figures, Facts, and Realities of the American Revolution as Seen Through the Eyes of an Historical Novelist."  Karen has completed a very interesting novel centered on the Declaration of Independence.  We are back on our regular schedule, with dinner from 5:30 until 6:30, when the meeting begins.  The September reminder will follow.  Details are here. - http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/

Given Karen’s topic, this article seems appropriate. - https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/american-declaration-of-independence-parchment-found-in-sussex-is-authentic-1-8552371

Radar finds more clues on Charleston’s long-gone Revolutionary War Battlefield - https://www.postandcourier.com/news/radar-finds-more-clues-of-charleston-s-long-gone-revolutionary/article_10a66ff6-8393-11e8-951b-73b50153cb60.html

Here’s information about the new Smithsonian exhibit “The American Revolution: A World War” - https://newsok.com/article/5603200/exhibit-shows-how-american-revolution-was-world-war  It will be on exhibit for the next year.

Our recent speaker Michelle Hamilton sent this about -

Honoring Mary Washington
August 25, 7 - 8:30pm
  Mary Washington House
Honor the life of a remarkable woman on the 229th anniversary of her death. Learn about 18th century mourning traditions in a special after hours tour of her home, followed by a wreath laying ceremony at her monument on Washington Avenue.
$10 general admission, $8 WHM members. Members should call to receive their discount. Advance ticket purchase is requested.  Light refreshments will be served.

Tickets are available here. - https://squareup.com/store/mary-washington-house/item/honoring-mary-washington?t=modal-em
Washington Heritage Museums
1300 Charles St.  Fredericksburg, VA 22401 | 540-373-5630

The new American Revolution Consortium for Civil Education, founded by our WYARRT friends Randy Flood and Jeff Lambert, has announced their Mid Atlantic Campaigns 1776 – 1778 conference on November 17 –18, in Yorktown.  Initial details are here, under events. -  http://www.arcce.org/  Topics will include the Ten Crucial Days, the Philadelphia Campaign, and Monmouth.  More information is forthcoming.

Our Paymaster Art Ritter sent information from the current Archaeology Magazine about Parker’s Revenge in Lexington, MA.  Here are details - https://www.archaeology.org/issues/202-1601/trenches/3933-trenches-massachusetts-revolutionary-war-parker-s-revenge and https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/significance-parkers-revenge

Dave Riggs sent this about -
Joint Efforts Result in Digitized Revolutionary War Claim Accounts from South Carolina 1778-1856
Through a cooperative agreement between the Kings Mountain National Military Park/National Park Service and the Southern Revolutionary War Institute, Mr. Michael Scoggins and interns were instrumental in having the images scanned and digitized. Scoggins is the historian for the Culture & Heritage Museums in York County and research director of the Southern Revolutionary War Institute located in York, SC. Scoggins states that “The South Carolina audited accounts are one of the pre-eminent series of Revolutionary War records for this state. These documents provide primary source records for men who served in the South Carolina militia, state troops and Continental regiments, and in many cases these are the only records that exist for these soldiers’ services.” SCDAH is the host site for the online database. The entire database of digitized records is also available to the public at the Southern Revolutionary War Institute in York.  https://www.nps.gov/nisi/learn/news/joint-efforts-result-in-digitized-revolutionary-war-claim-accounts-from-south-carolina-1778-1856.htm
 After hearing Larrie Ferrero speak about the French and Spanish involvement in our revolution, one of our newest members, Carol Beam, discovered this information about the French Charleville musket in the US Army National Museum publication Call to Duty.  It’s here. - https://www.nps.gov/nisi/learn/news/joint-efforts-result-in-digitized-revolutionary-war-claim-accounts-from-south-carolina-1778-1856.htm

 Thanks to all who send along information.  Enjoy the rest of your quickly passing summer and see you on September 19.

Bill

---
https://www.avg.com