From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:04:14 -0400
Anita,

  Thanks for this.  This is a subject I may follow up on at some point,
mainly for my children, than for a scholarly purpose.
  The story--again from my great uncle--is that his grandfather, the son of
the veteran, far from passing for white, married a Scots-Irish woman as a
free man of color in Kentucky.  This necessitated a move later north to Ohio
as Kentucky developed as a slave society.  Presumably the Rev. War veteran
had received a veterans land warrant for Kentucky (then western Virginia.)
  Thus, an African-American southern family become northerners, finally
settling in Pittburgh in the 1830s (when many free blacks were expelled from
Ohio.)

Harold