From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:09:32 -0500
Yes Mr. Adams, there was A John Jefferson, listed on the monument at
Jamestown, Va. My research reveals that this John was a great uncle of
President Thomas who came to Va. from St. Kitts. They originally came from
Pettistree, Suffolk Co., England. Some discussion has mentioned that
possibly the Jeffersons came from Wales and I did some research on this and
in fact, there is a town near Snowden that celebrates the Jeffersons as
being from there and have a monument of TJ to this event. This John
purchased land at Jamestown and left in time to miss the great massacre
there. He was a trading merchant and owned a ship. There was also another
John Jefferson not related to the presidential line who was a blacksmith.
There was the first John Jeaffreson, Pettistree, that goes back as far as I
am able to trace there. They lived near Sir Thomas Warner, who together with
Samuel Jeaffreson came to the West Indies, he being in charge and Samuel his
alternate.

Herb Barger
www.jeffersondna.com

I show a John Jefferson, born about 1625, in Virginia in a family file. Is
there a site for additionla Jefferson family history.
The question is " Did the family come directly from St. Kitts to Virginia?"
I want to add, did the family come from England, Scotland or Ireland to St.
Kitts or Virginia?
Thanks
JP Adams
Texas