From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:53:25 -0500
Two quick comments.  The 3/5s formula adopted in the Phila convention for
representation was based on percentage already in use by the Confederation Congress
to assess state quotas for support of the national government.
After adoption of the Constitution, the advantage deriving to southern states was a
sore spot with many New Englanders - many examples of this are found in the essays of
Fisher Ames - see The Works of Fisher Ames. Edited by Seth Ames and William Allen.
(Indianapolis. Liberty Fund. 1983) e.g., pp. 232-233 and 924-931.
Jon Kukla

--
Jon Kukla
1250 Red Hill Road