From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 17:10:12 GMT
Along the lines of the message regarding Professor Melvin Patrick, I also have written a book, Notes And Documents of Free Persons of Color. I will be doing a book Reading & Signing at Central Rappahannock Library in Fredericksburg, on August 21, 2005. My ancestors were Free Persons of Color, who resided throughout Virginia. Most were required to serve Indentures because of their status as Mulattoes (males 20 years, females 30 years).

The book is a chronicle of the lives of those who led extraordinary lives, and/or were a part of Virginia history. This includes Mary Bowden, who was the first of three generations of Indentured Servants to George Washington's family. Her daughter, Patty, was a personal servant to Elizabeth Washington Spotswood. Ambrose and Charles Lewis, were born in King George County Virginia. They joined the Revolutionary War, out of Fredericksburg serving as Seamen, and Foot Soldiers.  The brothers fought at, The Battle of Camden South Carolina. Others chronicled, are Rawley Pinn, his brother Robert, and nephews, Billy, James, and John; all of whom fought at The Siege of Yorktown.

If anyone is interested on the particulars of the Reading & Signing, please contact me privately.

Anita Wills

Order Sites for Notes And Documents of Free Persons of Color - Barnes & Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=lS3PoJHAgB&isbn=1411603338&itm=1
Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411603338/qid=1098122382/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-8775456-1855815