From:
Douglas Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 07:57:51 -0400
Janet Hunter wrote:

>Well, IF you live in VA, supported the car tax repeal, and are now bemoaning
>the cutbacks at LVA...well...this is what happens, and statewide cutbacks
>were predicted as a likely consequence of said car tax repeal unless optimum
>economic forecasts were met.  It's just that simple...and it is simple....and
>the consequences have to be laid partly to the citizens of Virginia.

I would urge out-of-state observers not to jump on Democratic Governor
Mark Warner, who inherited this mess from the disatrous policies of
Republican Gov. Jim Glimore and the Republican-led House (Vance Wilkins
and the boys).  They pandered to Virginians with the No Car Tax  pledge,
and we all are paying for that now.  I agree with Janet that Virginians
who vote (or who don't) have only themselves to blame.  As historians
(loosely defined, since some of us on the list are geneologists,
folklorists, or from other disciplines) we should be trying to figure
out what it is about the electorate that makes us particularly
vulnerable to such obvious pandering.  Why are Virginains, who, as I
think I've heard, have one of the lowest per capita tax rates in the
nation, so reflexively against progressive taxation?  Is it something
about our collective ethnic make-up, our literacy levels, what?
--

Douglas Day, M.A., Ph. D.

Executive Director

Albemarle County Historical Society