From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:46:27 -0500
Lyle,

I've heard the arguments that slavery would have died under its own weight
in some number of years had the civil war not intervened. I'm not so sure.
As a labor system for plantations, it may have become redundent, but as a
labor system for households, it would not have been shed so easily. I recall
when reading "The First Emancipator", the storyof Robert Carter III, that he
deliberately sent the younger of his children to college up north so that
they would not become accustomed to being waited upon. Those who went north
were not allowed to come back to Virginia. Those who lived in Virginia were,
sure enough, the ones who tried to make him out as crazy for wanting to free
all of his slaves, and the argued that he could not dispose of "their"
inheritance, even tho the property was still in his ownership. So, keeping
such situations in mind, I think it would have taken a greater effort to get
southerners over their dependence on having someone constantly waiting on
them.

As to Nat Turner, he committed murders. Had he mentally snapped after he was
sent to a third owner? Would he have been eligible for an insanity plea in
today's courts? His life prior to this event was very good, very religious.
He did try to run away once, and returned to his owner on his own. So, I'm
inclined to think he committed multiple murders, but maybe he wasn't a
murderer.

Oh, I'm reading Jamestown the Buried Truth, and it's all about the
archeological adventure of finding James Fort and Jamestown. It's so
interesting, I'm carrying the book to the door to let the cats in and out. I
am understanding a bit better what you mean about the exactness of
archeology. When they had two of the three walls found, they still weren't
absolutely certain that they had the fort. It was interestinig how relying
on the written notes. Strachey, I believe, the "curtains between the
bullwarks should have been 100 and 144 feet (yds?) long, but the
measurements went from corner to corner instead of from bulwark to bulwark,
and that threw them off.

Anyway, it is an interesting read and an interesting field.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org