From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:26:46 -0700
We can keep going back and forth, with this, you say no and I say yes. What
is the point? You said there is no indication that he had iron works, and I
say there are indications.  I know that Washington had iron Works, and
proved it to you, but you are determined to ignore what is in front of you.
Like I stated previously you should be looking at the Wills of Augustine
Senior and Junior, and the Wills of Washingtons' older brothers, and his
brother-in-law Fielding Lewis.  Fielding Lewis built ships using the Iron
Ore from Washingtons Mines. If you are not willing to do the research, this
is just a waste of energy.

Anita

>From: James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Virginia Iron
>Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:34:07 -0400
>
>A number of people were involved in iron production in Virginia and
>Maryland. By the time of the American Revolution the colonies were
>producing more iron than England. And half of that came from Virginia  and
>Maryland.
>
>Below is a list of the blast furnaces that operated in Virginia  during the
>18th century (by start date). These dates are derived from  the research I
>did for my MA (specifically on Albemarle) and are  considerably different
>from the traditionally accepted ones (very  little research had been done
>since K Bruce in the 1930s). Blast  furnaces produced high carbon, brittle
>cast iron. The iron needed for  most uses in the 1700s was low carbon,
>malleable wrought or bar iron.  this could be made directly in a bloomery
>or from cast iron in a  finery forge. Contrary to popular opinion most
>blast furnaces had  finery forges. But there were also lots of bloomeries
>in Virginia.
>
>After the closing of Potomac/Accokeek there is no indication that  George
>Washington was engaged in the iron industry in Virginia. He  continued to
>be a Principio partner, but all operations were in  Maryland. However, this
>is a pretty open field. I suspect that like  most Virginians if GW wanted
>iron he bought it. I am sure that there  was a smithy at Mt Vernon,  but
>while it has been determined that  Washington was involved in a lot more
>than just agriculture, to date  there is no indication he was involved in
>iron production outside of  the Principio Co.
>
>The Tayloe's were involved in Bristol (1st as factor, then as a  partner),
>Neabsco, Occoquan, and possibly Grimes Recovery. They did  take over
>Grimes' forge when he went out of business. Gov. Gooch,  along with Charles
>Chiswell, was a partner in Fredericksville.  Chiswell also operated another
>furnace. Alexander Spotswood was the  owner/operator of Tubal (it was
>neither at Germanna nor historically  ever called Germanna). Tubal may have
>been the first successful blast  furnace in North America (Saugus was the
>second in MA and never  successful, Tinton Falls, NJ may be the first but
>little is known  about it). Isaac Zane had two furnaces near Winchester-
>Zane's and  Marlboro. David Ross operated at least two furnaces at Oxford.
>Fielding Lewis was involved in the iron industry, especially during  the
>Revolution in Fredericksburg.
>
>17th & 18th
>
>Virginia Blast Furnaces
>

>Furnace Name                                            Dates of

Don’t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft
Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/