From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:51:49 -0500
Best place to start for earliest Virginia population statistics is martha
Woodruff Hiden's transcription of the census taken at the close of the
Company period - first published I think in WMQ but most readily available
in any of the several editions of Adventurers of Purse and Person
published since the first in, I think, 1956.....

A good source for summaries for the whole colonial period is the Census
Bureau's 2-vol. Historical Statistics of the United States, which has lots
of tables of population statistics and other data based on scholarship
current as of its publication - again there have been many editions - the
bicentennial edition of 1976 has the spiffiest cover - some libraries
catalogue these volumes in Reference - others treat it as a government
document - and some of the better research libraries I've worked in have
copies in both places....
jk

> Thanks, David for your reply.  I don't know whether it just me, out here
> in
> the boonies near Winchester, but I have a very difficult time getting to
> the
> many references.
>
> Do you know if there are any plans for some body to publish something that
> ties a lot of the stuff together and is readily available at book stores.
> It looks like to me the time is as ripe as it is going to be for another
> hundred years to do something like that.
>
> Randy

Dr. Jon Kukla, Executive Vice-President
Red Hill - The Patrick Henry National Memorial
1250 Red Hill Road
Brookneal, Virginia 24528
www.redhill.org
Phone 434-376-2044 or 800-514-7463