From:
Tom Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:45:50 -0500
"Foster care" may come close to the cases I've seen.  Orphans became wards
of the court absent next of kin.  Even with capable next of kin, orphans
frequently went out to apprentice at a very early age.  There is a case in
early 19th century Orange County, NC where two brothers (probably) had a
duel and the survivor, as closest next of kin, became estate executor and
guardian for two surviving kids.  He put both out to 'apprentice.'