From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:47:27 -0800
Eyler Coates, who has spent many years researching quotes of TJ's had this to say when asked about the quote you wrote about that is often attributed to TJ.
  "In matters of style, swim with the current, in matters of principle, stand like a rock."

  "I have seen this quote attributed to Jefferson, but I have not run across it in my reading of his writings. I just recently finished reading the 20 volume set of the Memorial Edition of Jefferson's Writings, and I feel quite sure it was not amongst those. Of course, the Memorial Edition does not contain every word he wrote, so it is possible that it is by Jefferson. In my opinion, it does not sound like Jefferson. On the other hand, it is not in the same class with some of the semi-literate statements that I have seen attributed to Jefferson either. Jefferson rarely, if ever, created aphorisms with opposing sections as in this quote. That was more typical of Benjamin Franklin. But this could be the one time in which he did so. Sorry I could not be of more help than that."

  Eyler's website ... http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7842/archives/quotes.htm
  Email address ...   [log in to unmask]

  Joanne

Robin Gabriel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I was recently at a presentation where the speaker used an unfamiliar
Jefferson quotation and I have had no luck tracking down its citation. A
Google search led to 359,000 sites, but alas none of them on the first 5
pages gives me a citation. I have also checked the Jefferson Cyclopedia and
staff at Monticello.

Does anyone recognize this quotation and can you tell me from where it
comes:

"In matters of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with
the current."

Thanks,
Robin Gabriel
Director of Education