From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:40:35 -0400
> Slavery may have been a great institution in the view of those who
> profited from it, but theirs is not the only justifiable view of the
> institution.

Forgive me if I'm picking at what's only the equivalent of a hasty typo, but
I just have to ask: Their view was justifiable?

(And in case the old "presentism" dodge comes my way for asking that
question, here's a contingency question: Haven't Andrew Levy and many
others -- highly constructive and welcomed revisionists, in my view -- shown
that slaveholders, and others who profited, had plenty of awareness of the
unjustifiability?)

Steve Corneliussen