From:
Susan Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:31:21 -0400
I have several economics questions.  Hoping that someone knows the
answer(s), or can point me to printed/online source(s):

In 1801, in Charlotte County, VA, a man purchased 315 acres
and paid 400 pounds.

Have any studies been done comparing prices of property,
within a geographic area and certain timeframes? For example, studies that
could show if that was the “going price” in Charlotte at that time, or if land
in Charlotte was cheaper/more expensive than land in [fill in county].

Is it possible to determine from price if property did or
did not have “improvements” (i.e., a house)?

Does anyone know, or can point me to the right study about:
what would have been the value (in that time and/or in today’s dollars) of
14,000 “weight” of tobacco in 1792 (Southside VA and/or Charlotte Co.)?

Late 18th century--early 19th century: land tax records show
the number of acres, the value per acre, the total value.....

(a) Did value per acre vary based on use/condition of the
land? (land in timber, cleared land, land in crops, etc.)

(b) If the value per acre did reflect usage, is there
somewhere something (a bill from the Assembly; or should court orders, in county
order books...) that would state those values?  (Land in timber to be taxed at $X/acre; cleared land at
$Y/acre; etc.)

Thank you for any and all help!

Susan Sheppard