From:
Daniel Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:49:37 -0400
An uncle of VMI Cadet (later Confederate Colonel) Charles Edward
Lightfoot, of Culpeper, Virginia, freed his slaves after his death in
the mid 1850's . . . much to the chagrin of his nephew and his
nephew's widowed mother.

The uncle's will not only freed his slaves, but provided that his
property be sold and funds provided for the freed slaves to live,
" . . . as if they had always been free."

According to a memoir by a desendant of one of the freed slaves,  a
cottage industry grew up shortly thereafter, finding slaves who could
claim a connection to the family and cash in on the deal.

Lightfoot, devastated, had to find a job after graduation.  Became a
teacher . . . first at his own school in Culpeper . . . then at
Hillsborough Military Academy in NC.

The uncle was a lawyer.

I'd love to correspond with ANY of the Culpeper Lightfoots  . . . or
anyone else who has more on this, or access to unpublished Lightfoot
materials.

Best,

Dan