From:
Hannah Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:11:17 -0700
One of my ancestors Richard Powell died in 1673 leaving his widow Susannah .
. . In August 1675 Susannah was brought to court for bearing a bastard child
of John Powell (Richard's brother).  They paid the fine, repented, and then
married and went on to have five children.

So it did happen in the seventeenth century ... Was it after that when the
laws forbidding this kind of marriage took place?
Hannah Powell