From:
Tom Costa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:50:34 -0500
A quick check of my runaway slave and servant database (search for the word
"wait" constrained to skill or occupation only) reveals that 5 out of the
approximate 30 runaway waiting men were white servants as opposed to slaves.
A number of the slaves are described as mulatto or light-colored as well
which may be indicative that masters might have favored lighter colored
slaves for their valets. I would also contest the staement by another poster
that there were few white indentured servants in eastern Virginia by the
1750s. The runaway ads list literally hundreds of servants who ran away.
The ads cover the period from 1736 to 1776 at this time.
Tom Costa
see "Virginia Runaways" (http://www.uvawise.edu/history/runaways/)