From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:54:21 -0400
I've never seen a reference to a forge on Massaponax Creek. Do you
mean the double air furnace mentioned in Byrd?
byrd/mines 358   1732

             But at the same time he gave me to understand that his
furnace[T ubal] had done no great feats lately, because he had been
taken up in building an air furnace at Massaponax, which he had now
brought to perfection and should be thereby able to furnish the whole
country with all sorts of cast iron as cheap and as good as ever came
from england.

byrd/mines 370

             The Colonel received us... and carried us directly to
his air furnace, which is a very ingenious and profitable
contrivance.  The use of it is to melt his sow iron in order to cast
it into sundry utensils, such as backs for chimneys, andirons,
fenders, plates for hearths, pots, mortars, rollers for gardeners,
skillets, boxes for cartwheels; and  many other things, which, one
with another can be afforded at 20s a ton and delivered at people's
own homes, and , being cast from sow iron, are much better than those
which come from England, which are cast immediately from the ore for
the most part.

If so it is very different from a forge. It was a foundry (remelted
pig made at Tubal). A big question is why he built a double air
furnace. The demand for cast iron products was usually met by casting
directly from the blast furnace. A double air furnace is usually
built to cast cannon.

James Brothers, RPA