From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 11:05:07 -0400
William Stith interests me in his capacity as a historian and clergyman,
so I searched JSTOR yesterday (which indexes all three series of the
William and Mary Quarterly for the years covered by Swem's index and
after) and I found NO text of or explicit reference to his will.
  It may well be printed in one of the other journals that Swem indexed
(VMHB, Tyler's Quarterly etc) but the WMQ -- or as Swem abbreviated it
W(1) and W(2) -- had nothing pertinent.
Jon Kukla

> The go-to source for this sort of search ought to be Swem's Virginia
> Historical Index.   If your local library has any sort of
> hisotry/genealogy section, they probably have this.  It is a great pity
> that this reference work has not been made available in a searchable
> on-line version.
>
> David Kiracofe
>
> David Kiracofe
> History
> Tidewater Community College
> Chesapeake Campus
> 1428 Cedar Road
> Chesapeake, Virginia 23322
> 757-822-5136
>> What else can you tell us about William Stith.  When and where was he
>> born,
>> when and where did he die.  Who did he marry and where did they marry?
>> Give
>> me a general direction to search and I will let you know if William
>> Stith's
>> will is online.
>
> I'm sorry, I assumed that folks would know who I was talking about.
> William Stith was born in 1707. He wrote  "The History of the First
> Discovery and Settlement of Virginia" in 1747, was a president of the
> College of William & Mary, and was a Church of England clergyman.
>
> He married Judith Randolph of Tuckahoe (1715-1745) in 1738. My
> understanding is that he died on 19 September 1755 in James City
> County.
>
> Scott

Dr. Jon Kukla, Executive Vice-President
Red Hill - The Patrick Henry National Memorial
1250 Red Hill Road
Brookneal, Virginia 24528
www.redhill.org
Phone 434-376-2044 or 800-514-7463