From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 23:11:03 -0500
he could have freed his slaves and hired them to work his land; he could have
provided for their freedom in his will, if we could not see fit to free them in
his life; he could have gradually freed them as his need for them diminished.
The possibilities were endless and for a man of Jefferson's genius, one imagines
he could have figured it out.  He was willing to risk his "sacred honor" to fight
Britain; he was unwilling to spend any time at all to deal with slavery. As Janet
Hunter says below, quite correctly, "he made a choice."

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor

918-631-3706