From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:46:39 -0500
Vesta-
  My reading is generally earlier than the Civil War, but 12 or 15 years ago
(I was still at LVA at the time) Harvard Univ Press published a wonderful
study of Northern attitudes toward Virginia that argued, in essence, that
Union generals and soldiers from the North East were wowed by the Old
Dominion and those from the west less so - U. S. Grant being among the
latter.  It was a fascinating read, it may address your question, and
doubtless other Va-Hist folks will remember author, title etc.
All the best, Jon Kukla

--
Jon Kukla
1250 Red Hill Road