From:
John Philip Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:17:44 -0500
Per the web site about currency in the colonies and the early beginnings of
the US.
Thanks to Thomas Jefferson.
The gold and silver of many kingdoms filled the gap created by a chronic
scarcity of British coins in the American colonies. Jefferson's Memorandum
Books reveal that he loaded friends bound for England with precious metal of
all shapes and nationalities. In 1769 he handed Matthew Maury, seeking books
for Jefferson and ordination for himself in London, three gold Portuguese
half johannes (joes), two gold German ducats, and a silver coffeepot,
weighing twenty-two ounces.[2] A year later, one of Jefferson's most
troublesome legal clients finally paid him in a motley mixture of silver and
gold -- half joes and moidores from Portugal, doubloons and pistoles from
Spain, and 308 English half crowns.[3]

 Jefferson's pocket coin scale, coins, and glasses. Photograph courtesy
United States MintTo compound the disorder of the situation, each colony had
its own rates of exchange. On crossing the border from Virginia to Maryland
in 1775, Jefferson had to note in his Memorandum Book the new values of
Spanish dollars and pistareens and Portuguese half joes, as well as English
guineas and shillings.[4] But for Jefferson, even a purely British system
would have been an ordeal. He described the mysteries of arithmetic for an
American school boy, "puzzled with adding the farthings, taking out the
fours and carrying them on; adding the pence, taking out the twelves and
carrying them on; adding the shillings, taking out the twenties and carrying
them on."

"But when he came to the pounds," Jefferson continued, "where he had only
tens to carry forward, it was easy and free from error." Jefferson began
advocating decimal reckoning as an orderly alternative to the currency chaos
in 1776. In 1784, after his "Notes on the establishment of a Money Unit,"[5]
he recommended a system with the advantages of convenience, simplicity, and
familiarity. The Spanish dollar was convenient in size, its decimal division
would make computation simple, and its multiples and subdivisions would
accord with already well-known coins. "Even mathematical heads," he
admitted, "feel the relief of an easier substituted for a more difficult
process." Jefferson's lucid arguments overwhelmed rival plans and the United
States soon became the first nation in history to adopt a decimal coinage
system.

Jefferson was one of the earliest Americans to consider a decimal currency.
He gave it, in 1784, its most articulate and persuasive expression in his
"Notes on Coinage." Congress, convinced by these arguments, adopted it with
little dissent. It was eventually implemented because of the agreement of
major figures in the U.S. government with the basic principles of
Jefferson's argument. Jefferson also became part of the realization of the
system through his involvement with the establishment and first years of the
U.S. Mint.

John Philip Adams
Texas